Senior Project Manager (12-month Fixed Term Contract) Job Overview
My client, a leading Law firm, is looking for a Senior Project Manager to join on an initial 12-month FTC to manage a key workstream as part of a multi-stream Programme of works. The successful candidate will manage one of the key workstreams which includes multiple projects that will help the firm navigate, prepare and decide on property utilisation and future ways of working over the next 5-6 years and beyond.
Working within the core Programme Team, you will report to the Programme Manager and work closely with the Programme Support Office, Business Change Manager, Finance and Communications leads as well as working with and managing stakeholders across the wider business. Key Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Manager in planning and designing the programme workstreams or "sub-programmes" and their individual projects, ensuring alignment to the programme vision and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring the projects are managed effectively, undertaking quality assurance and ensuring alignment with the programme's governance framework.
- Balance strategic goals with business operations and project delivery, reducing operational risk by improving consistency and transparency of project delivery across the sub-programme you are managing.
- Foster collaboration, innovation and challenge thinking with delivery teams and stakeholders, ensuring the programme is on target to achieve its strategic goals and transformational change.
- You will manage one of the programme's key workstreams/sub-programmes, which will at times include Project Management of specific projects.
- You will be responsible for the management, coaching and development of Project Managers assigned to projects.
- You will ensure resource and capability requirements are identified and efficiently maximised to enable delivery and realisation of benefits.
- Management of risks, issues and interdependencies across the sub-programme and its projects, following the appropriate escalation procedures.
- You will monitor the effectiveness of delivery teams, holding people accountable to ensure delivery of projects on time and within budget.
- You will ensure projects have the appropriate governance frameworks and delivery structures in place and work with the Programme Support Office to ensure this is consistent with the programme governance framework.
- Creation of business cases, including budget requirements and implementation plans for each project, socialising them with the relevant stakeholders and taking them through the appropriate approval procedure.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- You will ensure benefits are identified and tracked throughout the programme and project life cycle.
- Report on progress of the sub-programme you are managing in the context of the wider programme objectives.
- You will create and lead presentations where appropriate.
- You will work with the Programme Manager, Programme Support Office and other Programme Leads to ensure interdependencies and overlap across the programme are appropriately managed.
- You will be responsible for managing key stakeholders at all levels of the business, setting expectations and ensuring they are engaged appropriately.
- You will work closely with the Business Change Manager and Communications Lead to ensure the Business Change Strategy and Communication Plan is aligned to the sub-programme and project plans.
- You will be responsible for budget management within your sub-programme, working alongside the Finance Lead to track costs and articulating budget performance to the Programme Manager and governance groups.
- Previously worked on large, complex transformation programmes in a design and workspace context.
- Professional Services / Partnerships experience would be advantageous.
- Proven experience in setting project management frameworks and translating delivery and prioritisation challenges into business language.
- Project management / Programme management certification (PMI, MSP, Prince 2 preferred).
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strategic thinker but with good attention to detail.
- Excellent all level stakeholder management and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to negotiate with and persuade others not in direct line of report.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, with the ability to prioritise, manage time effectively and use initiative.
- Ability to drive and gain value from teams working remotely
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite; primarily Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio