My client, a central London based Publishing and Education business, is currently running a digital transformation programme and as a result is looking for a Lead Solutions Architect on an interim basis.
Reporting to the Head of IT the purpose of the Lead Solutions Architect role is to lead on the architecture, design and development of integrated solutions that meet current and future business needs. In addition to technology components, the solution architect will work with business analysts on proposed changes to service, process, organisation, and operating models.
The role holder will provide comprehensive leadership and guidance on the development of solution components to ensure that they take account of relevant architectures, strategies, policies, standards and practices, and that existing and planned solution components remain compatible. The role holder will help to develop and apply standardised and consistent approaches to ensure all deliverables are aligned with the company's strategic objectives.
This role will provide leadership for the architecture of the Digital Transformation Programme, a significant programme of work within the business.
In addition, the role holder will also act at the enterprise architect level for all business systems, ensuring the programme is correctly aligned with the overall 'To Be' architecture of the organisation.
- Lead the solutions architecture for assigned projects and system areas, taking into account and contributing to the agreed enterprise architecture strategy.
- Elicit and understand underlying customer and business needs, and develop appropriate, long-term technology, people and process solutions which meet those needs.
- Contribute to and comply with technical standards, strategies, policies and practices when developing solutions.
- Collaborate with project managers and other staff members to develop budgets and timelines for solutions proposed
- Assess and evaluate the risks associated with the alternate solutions proposed
- Keep skills updated and continuously consider wider IT environment, trends, emerging technologies, etc.
- Be aware of the Education landscape and the trends in it, especially technology
- Provide leadership in the sourcing strategy adopted for proposed solutions, including systems, software, vendors, potential partners, in-house teams, outsourcing, etc.
- Work with all members of the IT Team to ensure one architectural strategy is developed and implemented
- Ensure solutions proposed maximise existing investment whilst seeking to implement appropriate long-term improvements to business systems.
Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience of building technology solutions which meet the needs of customers (external and internal) and other internal stakeholders.
- Experience of enterprise architecture techniques and standards, for example TOGAF, Zachman or similar frameworks
- Experience of working in the Education sector (Exam Board or Awarding body etc)
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to present technical solutions to non-technical audiences in an effective manner
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners
- Experience in a variety of requirement gathering techniques
- Excellent business process modelling skills
- Knowledge and experience of a wide variety of hardware, operating systems, systems software, business applications, especially as they relate to the education sector
- An appetite for challenging existing practices in an effective and supportive manner
- Ability to work effectively in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Flexible approach to all situations
- Experience of working with package solutions, ideally Oracle Siebel